Long Beach firefighters rushed to a house fire on East Olive Street at around 4:20 p.m. on Sunday, according to the department’s Facebook page.
Firefighters were met with heavy smoke as they approached a small fire inside the kitchen. The blaze was contained to the oven, which extended to the cabinets above, Fire Chief Joe Miller said. Both were substantially damaged.
While firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and vented the building, others evacuated an elderly couple and their dog, who live in the house, Miller said.
“One resident was wheelchair-bound, but we got them out and there were no injuries,” Miller said.
The residents were assessed by paramedics, he said, and refused a trip to the hospital. They were allowed back into their home after firefighters left the scene.