Fire displaces local family


A fire ripped through a Baldwin home in the early-morning hours on Monday, leaving a family displaced, the Baldwin Fire Department said. The fire started in the basement, according to Third Deputy Chief Brien Cummings, and spread to the first and second floors of the Jayne Place house, as well as the attic. Sixty Baldwin firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze with help from the Freeport, Hempstead, Roosevelt and South Hempstead fire departments. No injuries were reported.